Thursday, February 21, 2008

Food (and too much of it) Part I

Americans are definitely big consumers of food, but we're also big wasters. Even our household (and we consider ourselves fairly good when it comes to eating our food) has a surplus of whole wheat pancakes. The root of the matter may lie in the fact that the pancakes are tough, and some of them are burnt. Of course, we have also been crazed over our new oats so we have obviously neglected the pancakes.

Tonight we're having pasta imported from Italy. You can tell that it's really Italian because 1) there's not a shred of English, everything is in Italian 2) it's small and 3) it's expensive. I look forward to eating it. Call me treasonous if you like, but in general, European food is much better than American. When we were in Europe, we had a good time eating. 

Andy Rooney has said, "I never eat in the restaurant of the hotel where I'm staying." In contrast, I often eat in hotel restaurants. In Hong Kong, it was nearly the only place we ate. Obviously, this isn't the best way to taste the local culture, but it is the best way to eat food you're familiar with. Then again, why not just eat it at home? That reminds me of another Andy Rooney quote--"I don't eat at a restaurant that says "home cooking." If I want home cooking, I'll eat at home."

Well, no matter how guilty I feel, I don't think I'm going to eat the pancakes tonight.
Share:

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:09 PM

    That certainly IS too much food!

    I wouldn't eat the pancakes, either :) I am from the Philippines and we are huge consumers of food, too!

    :) :D

    ReplyDelete