Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Pros and Cons of the Videoconference Part 2

When I debuted the presentation "Essay Made Easy: Persuasive Writing," I talked about techniques of persuasive writing, like anecdotes and scenarios, facts and examples, and definitions and quotes. 

I noticed that the students (who were, I noted, teenagers) were talking amongst themselves when they were supposed to accomplish an assignment. Was I a little frustrated? To the contrary, these chattering students inspired me to create a new PowerPoint. I hope that a new presentation I plan to make about rules will stick in the minds of students.

Looking back on the persuasive writing presentation, I have to say that it's made me think a little more about the key parts to making a videoconference a success.

1. A good presenter who is able to manage the video conferencing unit and teach students effectively.

2. A working video conferencing unit that, to put it concisely, does just that--works. Plus good internet connection.

3. A receptive audience who listens carefully and makes an effort to understand the material being presented. 

These three things are key to making any video conference a success. I've seen stellar audiences in some of my presentations, but the video conferencing unit can backfire. Thankfully, we think we're mostly done with our problems now--the video conferencing unit is working consistently throughout my programs so far.  

If you are school teachers, administrators, or librarians interested in my video conferencing programs, you can check them out at www.cilc.org. Search for Adora Svitak.
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment