Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day, everyone!

One of the most confusing things my older sister, Adrianna, and I have to face is that our mom never wants anything for Mother's Day--never wants anything material, that is. Nothing that we could buy in a store--nothing that she could get for herself.

This is all very well and creative and touching in theory, but it's hard. Because when you realize what our mom can't get by herself, it ends up being something like two hours of piano recitals for the family (Adrianna) or our dedication to learning Chinese. Do you know why lots of people stopped making homemade gifts? Buying them at a store is just easier. (I'm not saying that I'm advocating stopping making homemade gifts; I think that they really show a person's care and love.)

So I think there should be a sort of Mother's Day chart. We have the guide for anniversary presents--on your first anniversary, you get something made out of paper (traditional) or clocks (modern), cotton (t) or china (m), leather, silk, wool, etc. We should have exactly the same kind of guide for Mother's Day, based on how long your mother has a.) been a mother (starting with the birth of the oldest sibling) or b.) been your mother. This would make an occasionally confusing holiday a whole lot easier.
Share:

2 comments:

  1. I love your idea of the chart for Mother's Day, Adora. That would make gift selection much easier. Although this year I "lucked out" and chose a gift card that my mother enjoyed very much. Very good thought on the rarity of homemade gifts too...I do wish that there would be a resurgence of gift-making.

    I hope that your mother ended up having a good mother's day. How could she not with a daughter like you, right? :)

    Take care,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:56 PM

    Ohhhhh....maybe, yeah...that chart sounds like just what I need lol. I'm so stuck on gifts for my mum.

    -Carol

    ReplyDelete